Home Events News Gallery SDA Youth Committee About us Small Ads S.E. Region



Surrey DA Events

Surrey Youth

For Sale

About us

Common Sense Rules

Useful Links

South Eastern Region

National Feast Of Lanterns

FICC International

Local Groups

Something wrong?  webmaster@surreyda.co.uk


Kevin Rose

It is with great sadness we report the passing of Kevin Rose on Christmas Eve. Monday 24th December  2018. He was diagnosed with cancer just a few months before. Our condolences go to Kathy and all of Kevin’s extended family at their loss. Kevin was a passed member of the Surrey DA and served on the committee as Hon. Treasurer for a number of years.

Kevin’s funeral was at Woking Crematorium, 24th January 2019. The Chapel was bursting at the seams with the numbers of family and friends who wanted to say their last goodbyes to Kevin. A large number of Camping Club, Surrey DA members, past and present, made up the congregation. He will be sadly missed by all those who had the good fortune to know him.

The weather forecast for the weekend was great, Saturday was potentially to be the hottest day of the year, so far. Thursday morning we spent deploying the road signs and site signs to mark our spot! By lunch time the first campers arrived and received our friendliest of welcomes.

By tea time Thursday there were eight units on site to enjoy a wonderful evening and spectacular sunset. Friday two more units arrived and unfortunately that was all. It’s a puzzle, given the great site and super weather forecasted for the weekend.    

Not to be disappointed, we let everyone know we would be holding the Surrey DA Challenge Trophy competition on Saturday. A play-off would be held after Coffee Morning Sunday, if a tie-break was necessary. Friday everyone took advantage of the great weather and relaxed in the sunshine, explored the site or ventured out to see the sights. Friday evening everyone was invited to Chris and Ruby Swan’s Unit to join them in celebrating their 55th wedding anniversary. Bottles of bubbly and a choice of cakes were enjoyed by all. (Thursday was the actual day of their 55th but with all coming and going, setting up, etc., they decided Friday would be better).

Saturday the real challenge was staying cool and finding shade. Everyone attempted the Ladder Golf

Challenge and with the temperature rising one of our visitors volunteered to drive to the nearest farm

shop where they make their own ice cream. We all gratefully devoured the ice creams while play continued.

Mid-afternoon the landowner Peter decided to give his light aircraft an airing and wheeled it out of its hanger. (the large barn at the top of the site). After a his pre-flight checks the engine started and we were treated to the plane taxing over to the air strip in the next field – Sue’s turn at Ladder Golf was a little disrupted by this. Peter powered up the plane and took off into a clear blue sky, returning some three hours later. He informed us he went North over the Thames Estuary as far as Thurrock before turning back, re-fuelling at another airfield on route. (Envious? Us? Nah!). Meanwhile the Ladder Golf continued. Eventually, after three rounds, a winner emerged.

Saturday evening everyone was invited to a communal barbecue. Many of us dined together and watched the sun go down on what was indeed the hottest day of the year so far. Our thermometer showed 31°C., in the shade, at 3pm.

Everyone gathered around the Stewards Unit on Sunday morning for Coffee, teas and biscuits. The winner of the Surrey DA Challenge was announced – very well done Chris Swan for getting the highest total score for the Ladder Golf Challenge. Sunday evening, out came the barbecues once again and all enjoyed another wonderful sunset, only returning to their units when the evening became quite chilly.

Monday, still the weather was great with wall to wall sunshine. Once again people relaxed on site, explored the area and generally basked in the sun. Many units departed Monday leaving only three staying over until Tuesday. So by Monday evening, with a chilly wind was blowing from the West, the remaining few all got together to dine in the Steward’s unit.

Tuesday, we reluctantly packed our units and headed for home. We left the site just after lunch and the sun continued to shine. What a spectacular weekend – we were all very lucky to have both a super venue and the weather to match.   

Jenny and Dave  

  < More pictures in the Gallery- Click here>

Oakside Farm, Ringmer - Challenge Trophy Weekend 2019

Stewards Report

Tilford Nature Reserve Late Summer Meet 2019

Stewards Report

We arrived just after 12pm Friday the 13th September to get the site ready for the camping weekend and the visiting campers.  As we approached Elstead we encountered diversion signs to avoid roadworks on the east bridge at Tilford village.  We landed up having to detour back via Farnham and approach from the west.  However, all the lovely fond memories came back as we entered the site. We have now camped at this site for over 45 years and we never get tired of this beautiful location.

Two hours later our tent was up and only the bedding to go in.  We laid down on our air bed in the sun and before we knew it, we both had fallen asleep. Hard work this tent pitching at our age, it must be catching up on us.

Our first arrivals were Josie, Aaron and their daughter, at 4pm followed by Chioma and her Son & Daughter.  A little later were Robert, Sharon, Joseph & Leela and last to arrive was Alan & Enya. No Coren or Mylo, as they were camping at Ardingly with all the cubs from the south east.

After all the tents had been pitched the children started to collect wood for the fire, only a small one these days. Saturday morning and campers sat around chatting or going shopping for provisions. It was lovely to see Kath Rose visiting us, she stayed until mid-afternoon but had to return home for shammy the dog.  All the children collected more wood for the fire, for the evening and George and our boys helped cut the wood into smaller lengths. Then it was all down to the river for a splash about and a walk to see the pigs.  Another good evening around the camp fire with some music and sing along.

Sunday dawned yet another sunny day, we have been lucky with the weather.  After breakfast campers started to pack their cars but that all stopped when they all decided to go down to the river to have another splash about.

A lovely weekend was had by one and all, yet again we left the site at 3pm saying we will be back again next year.

Susan Moore.

News and Views Year 2019

Page 12